We have 5 Area Libraries and 5 Community Libraries. Our area libraries are located in Abergele, Colwyn Bay, Conwy, Llandudno and Llanrwst. The Community Libraries are in Cerrigydrudion, Kinmel Bay, Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr and Penrhyn Bay.
We have been on Market Street for more than 50 years, first opening our doors to the public on New Year’s Day, 1969. We were originally on the corner of Market Street and Chapel Street (it’s now a herbalist’s shop), but we’ve always been at the heart of our community.
Our library is probably one of the smallest in the whole of Wales, but we still play a vital role in the life of our community. We first opened to the public over 60 years ago, moving from the parish rooms to the former health clinic building in 2002.
Colwyn Bay Library
We first opened our doors to the public in April 1905 to celebrate the coronation of King Edward VII. The cost of building the library was met by the public, including the generous sponsor Andrew Carnegie, who donated £3,800 – that’s more than £400,000 in today’s money!
Conwy Culture Centre
Conwy Culture Centre is next to Conwy’s medieval town walls. Come and find out about the county’s culture, heritage and more!
Kinmel Bay Library
Before we opened at our current site, there were library facilities at both the Merchandise Hall in Kinmel Bay and at Towyn Community Centre. In April 1985, a £120,000 purpose-built community centre opened on Kendal Road, and since then the library has shared space with community groups and, at one time, a medical clinic.
There has been a public library in Llandudno since 1855, when it was part of a complex which is now the site of the Grand Hotel near the pier. A specially-built library was opened in 1873 on Mostyn Street and Reform Street, and the two Camperdown elms at the front of our building date from then!
Our library first opened in the late 1950s in a former grocery shop, built in 1875, and we have been at the same site ever since, at the heart of our community.
Our current library was custom-built in the mid-1970s, and we had a refurbishment in 2012. Before then we could be found on Church Road in the town.
Penrhyn Bay Library
We have been on our Llandudno Road site for 50 years, and first opened our doors to the public in 1971. We had a major refurbishment in 2015, when we got a new kitchen and public toilets. Our communal gardens regularly win prizes in the annual Wales in Bloom contest.